At approximately 8:40 this evening, a surge in power supplied to the residence at 3353 McKinley Parkway led to an overloaded surge protector, which caught fire. The black smoke and flickering glow caught the attention of the homeowner, who dialed 911 to report his house was on fire, as he evacuated.

Newton Abbott 9, Chief Chad Locher, arrived on scene and began an initial investigation, finding that the electrical equipment had already burned itself out. He held the response to the Engine 1 crew, who soon arrived and ventilated the smoke from the house after ensuring there was no additional fire. The power was shut off and an electrician was called, who also notified NYSEG.

Further investigation found that the main power line possibly contacted the supply to the residence, leading to double the normal strength of electricity reaching the building.

Several neighboring homes are also without power.

The initial assignment included Newton Abbott, Blasdell, Armor, Orchard Park, Scranton, Windom, and Woodlawn fire companies, as well as a paramedic ambulance from American Medical Response, and Town of Hamburg Police.

The incident was terminated at 9:09 PM.