Thank you for expressing a desire to join the Newton Abbott Fire Company!
You may be an experienced firefighter, new to the area. Or, you may want to find an exciting, new way to serve your community while enjoying the personal sense of reward that comes from being counted among "The Bravest."
Either way, Newton Abbott has a place for you. A highly dedicated organization that seeks to train and perform with a high degree of professional excellence, we provide emergency services to the Town of Hamburg and adjacent communities to include fire protection, hazardous material incident mitigation, heavy rescue, and emergency medical services. Additionally, our firefighters enjoy the privileges that come with membership, most notably a sense of fraternity that is the foundation of any successful organization.
To maintain "good standing" status, one must complete the following each year:
1. One drill (three hours of training) monthly. Numerous drills are held each month.
2. One OSHA standard training quarterly, totaling twelve training hours.
3. One work detail monthly comprised of a minimum of three hours.
4. Attendance of at least half of the monthly business meetings. (at least 6)
5. Attendance at fifteen percent (15%) of all fire alarms. (approx. 20 req'd)
6. Attendance at ten percent (10%) of all EMS requests. (approx. 80 req'd)
Additionally, all emergency service providers are required to obtain National Incident Management System (NIMS) certification, which will be provided to you through Newton Abbott.
Once again, thank you for your interest in the Newton Abbott Fire Company. You are on the way to becoming part of a respected and proud profession: that of the volunteer fire service, and doing so by becoming part of a respected and proud fire company.
Upon acceptance into the Newton Abbott Fire Company, all new members are held in probationary status for a period of one (1) year from the date of acceptance. During this time it is the responsibility of the member to demonstrate enthusiasm, competency, and a willingness to participate in the training, mission, and activities of the Company.
Your probationary year will require a fairly significant investment of time and energy, in order to obtain national credentialing as a firefighter, National Incident Management System (NIMS) certifications, and instruction in the processes and procedures of the Company.
A first-year member, if found to be deficient in performance or discipline, may be
brought before the Company for possible dismissal.
Probationary members are required to enroll in a Firefighter I course, obtain an American Heart Association BLS Healthcare Provider (CPR/AED) card, and complete the required probationary manual. These and other training requirements, and opportunities, will be fully explained to the new member upon acceptance into the Company. You, as an applicant, will have an opportunity to ask questions about Newton Abbott, and member responsibilities, during your interview.
First-year members are not eligible to run for elected office. However, members accepted into the Company in the first quarter of the calendar year will be eligible to vote for elected officers the following November. All members of the Newton Abbott Fire Company, Inc. must receive an annual physical and self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) fit test. This test is conducted at the fire station and is provided at no charge to the member. As an applicant, your initial physical examination and SCBA fit test is a required step in the admissions process.
Congratulations! You have made an important personal and professional decision, to become a volunteer firefighter. It is a career that is rewarding both vocationally and recreationally, and makes a vital contribution to civic life, and public safety.
For your reference, the application process is as follows:
1. Complete and submit all forms in this packet along with the following:
a. A Police Department criminal records check from ALL municipalities that you have resided in during the past year.
b. Completed arson/sex offender check form (fill in boxes A, 1-10)
2. Your application will then be presented to the fire company membership at the next monthly meeting, held on the first Monday of each month.
3. Newton Abbott will request an arson conviction/sex offender background check from the Erie County Sheriffs Department.
4. You will be contacted for an interview, which will be conducted by an Investigative Committee at the fire station.
Please bring the following with you:
a. Your driver's license
b. Another proof of identity such as a birth certificate or passport.
5. The Investigative Committee will submit its recommendation to the active membership, and a membership vote will be held by the active members of the fire company at the next monthly meeting.
6. If accepted by the membership, you will be sent for a physical examination at Newton Abbott's expense, which you must pass to become a member.
7. If you pass the physical, Newton Abbott will send a letter to the Town of Hamburg clerk stating that we have accepted you as a member. This letter, which must be read at a town board meeting, officially adds you to the insurance.
8. Once you or Newton Abbott receives a letter from the town clerk that the letter was read, contact will be made to swear you in and issue your equipment.
Again, Thank you for expressing a desire to join the Newton Abbott Fire Company!
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions during the membership process.
2nd Assistant Chief